Des Plaines, IL – URISA is pleased to announce the newest members of its Vanguard Cabinet. The Vanguard Cabinet (VC) is a URISA initiative (which debuted in 2011) to engage young GIS practitioners, increase their numbers in the organization, and better understand the concerns facing these future leaders of the GIS community. The VC is an advisory board who represent the young membership of the organization. The Cabinet’s mission is to collaborate with URISA’s Board of Directors and Committees in creating and promoting programs and policies of benefit to young professionals.
Comprised entirely of passionate young members selected from different geospatial disciplines, the Cabinet aims to position URISA as the center of opportunities for ambitious young professionals who are committed to improving URISA and the geospatial profession via innovation, collaboration, networking, and professional development.
2017-2018 URISA Vanguard Cabinet Members:
· Natalie Dobbs, Vice President – Knowledge Services Division, Spatial Innovision Ltd., Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
· Tory Elmore, GIS Manager, The Wildlands Conservancy, Oak Glen, California
· Alice Pence, GIS and Database Specialist, City of Auburn, Washington
· Rui Pires, GISP, GIS Planner, Spartanburg County, Spartanburg, South Carolina
· Alyssa Randall, GIS Analyst/Environmental Planner, Planning Communities, LLC, Raleigh, North Carolina
· Mike Smith, GIS Technician, Municipality of Chatham-Kent, Ontario Canada
· Mo Wang, Research Assistant, Department of Geography, Planning and Environmental Studies, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec Canada
Each member serves a two-year term. Meet each member and learn more about VC initiatives here: http://www.urisa.org/news/2017/01/05/press-release/2017-urisa-vanguard-cabinet-announced/
Cabinet members are selected through an application process, with a review by the Vanguard Steering Committee. The application process for 2018 Vanguard Cabinet members will open in September 2017.